Once, when I was just studying as a psychologist and was undergoing another stage of art therapy, a female psychologist came to us and simply asked me to choose the cards I liked. They looked like pictures. Each featured a fragment of nature. I chose a thunderstorm and a chamomile field. Then I learned their meanings. How surprised I was when the cards hit the very point! They deciphered my condition so accurately that it struck me. Now I myself am a certified practicing psychologist, and of course, I also use decks in my work. Indeed, metaphoric cards are a very necessary thing in the work of a psychologist and today I will explain why, by sharing my recipes, how I work with them.
I will tell you on the example of the deck “Master of psychology 200 formulas + calculator of psychological compatibility”
PROCEDURE FOR WORKING WITH METAPHORIC CARDS
Using metaphoric cards perfectly facilitates the task of establishing contact with the client at the first consultation. A person does not trust you yet, it is difficult for him to start, but he can choose cards resembling his problems. The following diagrams help make the task easier.
- HOW TO ESTABLISH PSYCHOLOGICAL CONTACT WITH THE CLIENT USING METAPHORIC CARDS
• At the first consultation, ask to select cards indicating the real situation (this may be a real relationship with someone, for example) – his problem.
• Now ask to choose the cards that indicate the ideal situation (ideal relationship), which client would like to see it.
• Ask to choose a card that means his resources: this is a card that would inspire him, give strength.
For example, he chose the following three cards: a card with a horse, with a tree and a lock. Ask him to justify his choice. What is he associated with?
What is remarkable about this particular deck is that any selected cards mean something and you can find out from the decryption book that is attached to the deck.
- HOW TO SOLVE PROBLEMS IN LOVE WITH THE HELP OF METAPHORIC CARDS
Very often there are patients who would like to establish their privacy. To do this, they must understand who they need, who will make their happiness. Give them this opportunity with metaphoric cards. For example, take the same deck.
Lay out maps of men and women in front of the customer and ask the following questions:
- Ask the customer to determine who their partner looks the most.
- Ask the customer to choose a photo that would symbolize his ideal partner for him.
- Ask him what prevents him from meeting such a person.
- Ask the customer to choose which partner he does not like and why.
- Try making pairs of photos.
What is noteworthy about this deck is that a person will not only be able to understand better who attracts him or repels him, who he really needs, but also in the book will be able to learn in detail not only about his partner, but also about himself, and also find out what type of relationship with the selected partner will eventually turn out.
- HOW TO IDENTIFY AND IMPROVE CUSTOMER MOOD WITH METAPHORIC CARDS
I give an example of work with the same deck. After laying out cards with images of nature in front of the client, ask him the following questions:
What card, in his opinion, is the most beautiful? And it attracts him more than the others? Let him pick this card.
• What other card do you like? But not as much as the first?
• Let him choose a couple more pretty cards for himself.
• The fifth and sixth cards are neutral. Cards that do not cause the client either positive or negative emotions.
• Finally, let him choose cards that disgust him. The most unpleasant is the eighth card.
In other decks of metaphoric cards, the client usually selects only two cards – the one that is associated with his real state and the second with the ideal one. The advantage of this deck is that not only are client associations visible here, but also, thanks to the decryption book, you can decipher the client’s psychological state in great detail and, most importantly, give good recommendations on how to improve it.
These exercises are not a complete list of possible work with metaphoric cards. You can ask the client to tell stories, ask to choose cards for specific music; you can ask to choose a card that gives the client inspiration and strength. He, in turn, can photograph them for memory and look at them from time to time. You can work with cards on psychological training. So, for example, you can ask participants to pull out cards that they like, or cards that mean their psychological health and illness them, in a word, with metaphoric cards, there are quite a lot of work variations there is enough fantasy. And this is really a very important projective tool in the work of a psychologist.
If you are interested in the deck on which I gave an example, click on this link: http://psywonderfulfuture.com/product/metaphoric-associative-cards-the-master-of-psychology-more-than-200-formulas-calculator-of-love/.